Science Based Targets Consulting
SCS Consulting works with you to set streamlined and efficient Science-Based Targets (SBTs) that improve the climate.
Climate Targets Backed By Science
As with all goals in business, success depends on a straightforward and contextually relevant approach. As your trusted Science Based Targets partner, SCS leverages its knowledge of having effectively guided numerous clients through the SBT development process to establish an appropriate SBT approach for your organization. SCS has an established process, guidance documents, and streamlined data collection to help you establish reputable climate targets.
How SCS Helps with Your Science Based Targets
SCS Consulting experts leverage decades of experience and proven facilitation tools to guide your SBT efforts. We lead you through a well-organized process which can include the following:
- Conduct your scope 1 & 2 inventory
- Conduct your scope 3 screening and/or inventory
- Data collection & management
- Benchmark industry peers and competitors
- SBT feasibility assessment
- SBT target-setting
- SBTi validation form submission
- Identify and evaluate emissions reduction initiatives
- GHG reduction roadmaps & strategy
The SCS team serves as your strategic mentor through the entire SBT process. Whether it’s providing initial process support, conducting your Scope 1 & 2 inventories, or collecting data, our team makes navigating the SBT process efficient and painless. We perform a thorough analysis to identify where challenges may arise, pinpoint which datasets will be difficult to obtain, and identify where advantageous opportunities exist to achieve your goals. We’re invested in your success and want to help you solve your climate challenges. A typical SBT process includes:
- Gather background information on existing GHG inventories and reduction efforts
- Interview key internal stakeholders, where relevant, to understand success & barriers
- Establish baselines for scope 1, 2, and/or 3 GHG emissions, if they don’t already exist
- Evaluate which SBT options are feasible within your context and compared to your peers
- Evaluate reduction initiatives and provide specific recommendations
- Create a strategic roadmap for implementation
- Develop programs, trainings, and policies aligned with strategy
- Access and share SBT progress through internal and external ESG reporting
The Benefits of Working with SCS Consulting
Nimbler than the Big 4 and more experienced than pop-up ESG consultancies, SCS Consulting Services is built on more than three decades of sustainability industry excellence and an unwavering commitment to scientific rigor, credibility, and transparency. This includes extensive experience with greenhouse gas (GHG) accounting, emissions reduction strategy, and implementation tactics across Scope 1, 2, and 3 GHGs which are core to establishing SBTs.
From Fortune 500 companies to boutique enterprises, SCS Consulting serves as a strategic partner for companies navigating the process of establishing, setting, and achieving ambitious climate goals.
What are Science Based Targets?
The Science-Based Targets Initiative (SBTi) provides a framework for companies to establish climate goals that are based on science. SBTs allow companies to establish how much emissions and in what time frame they need to reduce their GHG emissions in order to prevent the worst impacts of climate change and keep climate warming under the critical 1.5 degree Celsius threshold. SBTs are aligned with the Paris Agreement goals and more than 2,000 businesses around the world are working with SBTi.