Responsible Minerals Initiative
Responsible Minerals Assurance Process for Smelters and Refiners
What is Responsible Minerals Initiative?
SCS is recognized by the Responsible Minerals Initiative (RMI) as an approved auditing firm for the Responsible Minerals Assurance Process (RMAP). Verification to the RMAP provides assurance to companies that the smelters and refiners within their supply chain employ responsible sourcing practices and management systems. RMAP requires a third-party audit against the RMAP Protocols which are currently the highest level of due diligence (in accordance to the OECD*) for determining that refiners and smelters are not sourcing conflict minerals for their production of tantalum, tin, cobalt, tungsten and gold (3TG).
SCS Global Services is a third-party audit service provider approved to conduct Responsible Mineral Assurance Protocol (RMAP) assessments for Responsible Minerals Initiative (RMI) member smelters and refiners. Auditors assess an auditee’s management processes to meet responsible mineral procurement practices and align with requirements set by OECD Due Diligence Guidance, the Regulation (EU) 2017/821 of the European Parliament and the U.S. Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act.
*Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) Due Diligence Guidance for Responsible Supply Chains of Minerals from Conflict-Affected and High-Risk Areas.
Why Choose SCS?
SCS has experienced, globally located auditors to conduct your RMAP audit smoothly and efficiently. Our team can assist you with additional services for metals and jewelry that can be complementary to RMAP in order to tailor services to meet your needs. With quick responses and personalized customer service, we keep your projects moving forward. Contact us for further information on RMAP or any of these additional services:
- Program Documents
What types of materials or services qualify for this RMAP verification?
The RMAP audit focuses on smelters and refiners, the “pinch point” in the metal supply chain between upstream (i.e. mine) and downstream (i.e. manufacturers) actors. Current metals in scope include Tin, Tantalum, Tungsten, Gold, and Cobalt.
Once we are found conformant, how many years does the conformance verification last?
Conformance determination is valid for 1 year; special circumstances must be met to qualify for a 3-year conformance determination.
How long does and RMAP audit take?
Audit length is determined by RMIs RMAP program manager, but generally depends on the smelter/refiner’s sourcing practices, size, and complexity of operations.
Are RMAP audits onsite or virtual?
RMAP audits are conducted in-person; virtual audits are allowed under special circumstances and must be approved by the RMI.
- Maintain and grow your market share by demonstrating compliance to US and EU regulations with one audit
- Becoming an RMI conformant smelter gives you access to subject matter experts, training and resources, and tools to help improve management processes
- Once approved, Refiners and Smelters are listed on the RMI website
- Consultation with SCS (Optional)
- Client consults with SCS on the process, scope, or other questions about verification.
- Sign Auditee Agreement with RMI
- RMI facilitates the assignment of an auditing firm.
- Client contacts RMI and signs an Auditee Agreement to initiate project.
- Client completes RMI’s Pre-Audit Checklist to determine the scope of the audit.
- The checklist covers:
- Facilities and products covered
- Metals/Minerals covered
- Sourcing locations
- Volume of transactions
- Audit location(s)
- Contact person
- Other information necessary to determine the audit scope
- Request for Quote
- SCS reviews Pre-Audit Checklist from RMI.
- SCS submits a quote for conducting the audit.
- Audit Firm Confirmation
- RMI will work with the client to select the best audit firm to meet the needs of all stakeholders.
- Client may specifically request SCS to be the auditor.
- Data Collection
- SCS provides an overview of project milestones.
- Client completes Line Item Transaction Summary, which summarizes client purchases made over the last 12 months.
- SCS reviews Summary and prepares an onsite audit plan.
- SCS schedules onsite audit directly with the client.
- Onsite Audit
- SCS audits all facilities identified in the scope.
- Onsite audits take 1-3 days per facility depending on complexity.
- Auditor reviews data and findings from the audit and writes a report for the client’s approval.
- Corrective Actions
- Client develops corrective action plans for all identified non-conformities.
- SCS reviews corrective action plans, requesting additional data or requiring another onsite audit as needed.
- SCS submits an audit report to RMI, who will then review the report and determine verification status of the client.
- Upon successful verification, the client gets listed publicly on RMI’s website as a verified smelter or refiner.
- Verification takes about one month from onsite audit to final decision.
- Verification Maintenance
- Annual renewal is required, which includes data collection and an onsite audit.
- If a facility is under the low risk program, onsite audits may only be required every three years. Contact SCS for more information on how to qualify.
Visit the Responsible Minerals Initiative for the following:
- Protocols (Standards) for 3TG Smelters and Refiners
- Additional Guidance and Training
Ready to get started or need more info? Connect with us.